Seared Tuna & Watercress with Scallion-Ginger Relish
Here's a salad that's as beautiful as it is delicious. The spicy orange-ginger dressing is so good, you'll want to double (or triple) it to serve on your salad throughout the week.
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup drained, canned water chestnuts, diced (see Tips for Two)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 8-ounce tuna steak, about 1-inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups watercress, washed and trimmed (about 1 bunch)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, hot sauce and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Transfer half the dressing to a small bowl; add scallions, water chestnuts and sesame seeds, and toss.
- Rub tuna with canola oil and sprinkle with salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill until the fish is opaque, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Add watercress to the large bowl and toss to coat with the remaining dressing. Cut the tuna into 2 portions. Divide the watercress between 2 plates and top with the tuna and scallion-ginger relish.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Tips for Two: Store leftover water chestnuts in the refrigerator, covered with water; they keep for up to 1 month with daily water changes. Add to a stir-fry; toss in a green salad; jazz up chicken or tuna salad; Asian Brown Rice.
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
Per serving: 313 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Selenium (60%), Iron (45% dv), Magnesium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique