Seared Tuna & Watercress with Scallion-Ginger Relish
Here's a salad that's as beautiful as it is delicious. The spicy orange-ginger dressing is so good, you'll want to double (or triple) it to serve on your salad throughout the week.
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup drained, canned water chestnuts, diced (see Tips for Two)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 8-ounce tuna steak, about 1-inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups watercress, washed and trimmed (about 1 bunch)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, hot sauce and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Transfer half the dressing to a small bowl; add scallions, water chestnuts and sesame seeds, and toss.
- Rub tuna with canola oil and sprinkle with salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill until the fish is opaque, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Add watercress to the large bowl and toss to coat with the remaining dressing. Cut the tuna into 2 portions. Divide the watercress between 2 plates and top with the tuna and scallion-ginger relish.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Tips for Two: Store leftover water chestnuts in the refrigerator, covered with water; they keep for up to 1 month with daily water changes. Add to a stir-fry; toss in a green salad; jazz up chicken or tuna salad; Asian Brown Rice.
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
Per serving: 313 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Selenium (60%), Iron (45% dv), Magnesium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique