Seared Tuna Tataki Quinoa Bowl
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
In this healthy tuna and quinoa recipe, tuna steaks are flash-cooked, sliced, then tossed in a quick, gingery marinade. The tuna, vegetables and seaweed get dressed with some of the flavor-packed tataki marinade and served over protein-rich quinoa.
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mirin (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 pound ahi (yellowfin) tuna (see Tips)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/3 cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 1/3 cups matchstick-cut seeded cucumber
- 4 sheets toasted nori, snipped into 1/2-inch squares
- Combine onion, soy sauce, lime juice, mirin and ginger in a 7-by-11-inch (or similar-size) baking dish. Set aside to marinate.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in quinoa. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the grains are tender and reveal their spiraled germ, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover and fluff.
- Meanwhile, season tuna on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add tuna and sear for 1 minute on each side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Remove the onions from the marinade with a slotted spoon and reserve; transfer the sliced tuna to the marinade. Gently toss to coat and let sit 5 minutes. Use tongs to transfer the tuna back to the cutting board and cut into cubes.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the marinade; stir 3 tablespoons of the mixture into the quinoa. Divide the quinoa among 4 shallow bowls and top with equal portions of the tuna, reserved onions, carrot, cucumber and nori. Drizzle with the remaining marinade and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Mirin is a sweet, low-alcohol rice wine essential in Japanese cooking. Look for it in your supermarket with the Asian or gourmet ingredients. It will keep for several months in the refrigerator. An equal portion of sherry or white wine with a pinch of sugar can be used as a substitute.
- When choosing ahi (yellowfin) tuna look for U.S.-caught fish (from the Atlantic or the Pacific)—it’s most likely to be sustainably fished. For more information about choosing sustainable seafood, visit seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 431 calories; 14 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g total sugars; 36 g protein; 5 g fiber; 757 mg sodium; 974 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (93% daily value), Vitamin B12 (39% dv), Magnesium (36% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (25% dv), Iron (19% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)