Seared Steak Salad with Edamame & Cilantro
Look for prewashed packages of Asian-style salad mixes at your supermarket - their peppery, exotic character is great with this full-flavored steak and dressing. Look for fiber- and protein-rich edamame (green soybeans) in the frozen vegetables section of your supermarket.
- 8 ounces top round steak, 3/4 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed Asian greens, or mesclun greens
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup shelled edamame, thawed
- 1/4 cup Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add the steak and cook about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for (at least 5) minutes before slicing.
- Combine greens, snow peas, bell pepper, cabbage, cilantro, edamame and vinaigrette in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Divide between 2 plates. Top with the steak. Chicken Variation Substitute 8 ounces chicken tenders for the steak. Cook through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Shrimp Variation Substitute 8 ounces cooked, peeled shrimp for the steak (omit Step 1).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 328 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 42 g protein; 7 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 949 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (320% daily value), Vitamin A (120% dv), Zinc (46% dv), Folate (43% dv), Iron (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique