Seared Steak Salad with Edamame & Cilantro
Look for prewashed packages of Asian-style salad mixes at your supermarket—their peppery, exotic character is great with this full-flavored steak and dressing. Look for fiber- and protein-rich edamame (green soybeans) in the frozen vegetables section of your supermarket. Use the leftover dressing for any salad later in the week.
Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette (makes 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
Seared Steak Salad
- 8 ounces top round steak, 3/4 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed Asian greens, or mesclun greens
- 1 cup sliced snow peas
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup thawed shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette
- To prepare the vinaigrette: Whisk orange juice, vinegar, tamari, oil, honey and ginger in a small bowl until the honey is incorporated.
- To prepare the salad: Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add the steak and cook about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Combine greens, snow peas, bell pepper, cabbage, cilantro, edamame and 1/4 cup Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Divide between 2 plates. Top with the steak. (Refrigerate leftover vinaigrette.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 331 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 91 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 43 g protein; 7 g fiber; 583 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (243% daily value), Vitamin A (120% dv), Folate (48% dv), Zinc (46% dv), Iron (35% dv), Vitamin B12 (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique