Seared Steak Salad with Edamame & Cilantro
Look for prewashed packages of Asian-style salad mixes at your supermarket—their peppery, exotic character is great with this full-flavored steak and dressing. Look for fiber- and protein-rich edamame (green soybeans) in the frozen vegetables section of your supermarket. Use the leftover dressing for any salad later in the week.
Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette (makes 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
Seared Steak Salad
- 8 ounces top round steak, 3/4 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed Asian greens, or mesclun greens
- 1 cup sliced snow peas
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup thawed shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette
- To prepare the vinaigrette: Whisk orange juice, vinegar, tamari, oil, honey and ginger in a small bowl until the honey is incorporated.
- To prepare the salad: Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add the steak and cook about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Combine greens, snow peas, bell pepper, cabbage, cilantro, edamame and 1/4 cup Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Divide between 2 plates. Top with the steak. (Refrigerate leftover vinaigrette.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 331 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 91 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 43 g protein; 7 g fiber; 583 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (243% daily value), Vitamin A (120% dv), Folate (48% dv), Zinc (46% dv), Iron (35% dv), Vitamin B12 (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique