Seared Steak Salad with Edamame & Cilantro
Look for prewashed packages of Asian-style salad mixes at your supermarket—their peppery, exotic character is great with this full-flavored steak and dressing. Look for fiber- and protein-rich edamame (green soybeans) in the frozen vegetables section of your supermarket. Use the leftover dressing for any salad later in the week.
Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette (makes 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
Seared Steak Salad
- 8 ounces top round steak, 3/4 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed Asian greens, or mesclun greens
- 1 cup sliced snow peas
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup thawed shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette
- To prepare the vinaigrette: Whisk orange juice, vinegar, tamari, oil, honey and ginger in a small bowl until the honey is incorporated.
- To prepare the salad: Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add the steak and cook about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Combine greens, snow peas, bell pepper, cabbage, cilantro, edamame and 1/4 cup Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Divide between 2 plates. Top with the steak. (Refrigerate leftover vinaigrette.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 331 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 91 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 43 g protein; 7 g fiber; 583 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (243% daily value), Vitamin A (120% dv), Folate (48% dv), Zinc (46% dv), Iron (35% dv), Vitamin B12 (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique