Seared Steak Salad with Edamame & Cilantro
Look for prewashed packages of Asian-style salad mixes at your supermarket - their peppery, exotic character is great with this full-flavored steak and dressing. Look for fiber- and protein-rich edamame (green soybeans) in the frozen vegetables section of your supermarket.
- 8 ounces top round steak, 3/4 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed Asian greens, or mesclun greens
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup shelled edamame, thawed
- 1/4 cup Sesame Tamari Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add the steak and cook about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for (at least 5) minutes before slicing.
- Combine greens, snow peas, bell pepper, cabbage, cilantro, edamame and vinaigrette in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Divide between 2 plates. Top with the steak. Chicken Variation Substitute 8 ounces chicken tenders for the steak. Cook through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Shrimp Variation Substitute 8 ounces cooked, peeled shrimp for the steak (omit Step 1).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 328 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 42 g protein; 7 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 949 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (320% daily value), Vitamin A (120% dv), Zinc (46% dv), Folate (43% dv), Iron (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique