Seaside Tomato Gazpacho
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Though gazpacho originated as a soup made with bread, today tomato gazpacho recipes are often made with diced vegetables, tomato juice and seasonings, and no bread at all. It’s a different approach, but one that’s just as delicious, especially with a little seaside flair from Old Bay seasoning and lobster or shrimp floated on top. If you don’t have time to cook lobster, buy precooked lobster or ask at the fish counter to have it cooked while you wait.
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable juice, such as V8 or R.W. Knudsen Very Veggie
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced fennel bulb or celery, plus 1/4 cup fennel fronds or celery leaves, divided
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cooked lobster from two 1- to 1 1/4-pound live lobsters or 2 cups chopped peeled cooked shrimp
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Combine vegetable juice, bell pepper, fennel (or celery), tomato, onion, vinegar, oil, Old Bay, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Top each serving of gazpacho with 1/2 cup lobster (or shrimp) for an entree portion or 1/3 cup for an appetizer serving. Garnish with avocado and fennel fronds (or celery leaves).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Finish with Step 2 just before serving.
Per cup: 252 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 462 mg sodium; 950 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (123% daily value), Vitamin A & Zinc (39% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2013