Seaside Tomato Gazpacho
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Though gazpacho originated as a soup made with bread, today tomato gazpacho recipes are often made with diced vegetables, tomato juice and seasonings, and no bread at all. It’s a different approach, but one that’s just as delicious, especially with a little seaside flair from Old Bay seasoning and lobster or shrimp floated on top. If you don’t have time to cook lobster, buy precooked lobster or ask at the fish counter to have it cooked while you wait.
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable juice, such as V8 or R.W. Knudsen Very Veggie
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced fennel bulb or celery, plus 1/4 cup fennel fronds or celery leaves, divided
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cooked lobster from two 1- to 1 1/4-pound live lobsters or 2 cups chopped peeled cooked shrimp
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Combine vegetable juice, bell pepper, fennel (or celery), tomato, onion, vinegar, oil, Old Bay, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Top each serving of gazpacho with 1/2 cup lobster (or shrimp) for an entree portion or 1/3 cup for an appetizer serving. Garnish with avocado and fennel fronds (or celery leaves).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Finish with Step 2 just before serving.
Per cup: 252 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 462 mg sodium; 950 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (123% daily value), Vitamin A & Zinc (39% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013