Seaside Tomato Gazpacho
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Though gazpacho originated as a soup made with bread, today tomato gazpacho recipes are often made with diced vegetables, tomato juice and seasonings, and no bread at all. It’s a different approach, but one that’s just as delicious, especially with a little seaside flair from Old Bay seasoning and lobster or shrimp floated on top. If you don’t have time to cook lobster, buy precooked lobster or ask at the fish counter to have it cooked while you wait.
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable juice, such as V8 or R.W. Knudsen Very Veggie
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced fennel bulb or celery, plus 1/4 cup fennel fronds or celery leaves, divided
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cooked lobster from two 1- to 1 1/4-pound live lobsters or 2 cups chopped peeled cooked shrimp
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Combine vegetable juice, bell pepper, fennel (or celery), tomato, onion, vinegar, oil, Old Bay, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Top each serving of gazpacho with 1/2 cup lobster (or shrimp) for an entree portion or 1/3 cup for an appetizer serving. Garnish with avocado and fennel fronds (or celery leaves).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Finish with Step 2 just before serving.
Per cup: 252 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 462 mg sodium; 950 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (123% daily value), Vitamin A & Zinc (39% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2013