From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Our rich stew is made with green beans. The saffron contributes a pungent flavor and intense yellow color.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of crumbled saffron threads
- 1 cup no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces bay scallops, tough muscle removed
- 4 ounces small shrimp, (41-50 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, fennel seed, salt, pepper and saffron; cook for 20 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth and green beans. Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, stir in scallops and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Literally the dried stigma from Crocus sativus, saffron adds flavor and golden color to a variety of Middle Eastern, African and European foods. Find it in the spice section of supermarkets, gourmet shops and at tienda.com. It will keep in an airtight container for several years.
Per serving: 219 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 103 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Selenium (43% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October/November 2006