From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Our rich stew is made with green beans. The saffron contributes a pungent flavor and intense yellow color.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of crumbled saffron threads
- 1 cup no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces bay scallops, tough muscle removed
- 4 ounces small shrimp, (41-50 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, fennel seed, salt, pepper and saffron; cook for 20 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth and green beans. Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, stir in scallops and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Literally the dried stigma from Crocus sativus, saffron adds flavor and golden color to a variety of Middle Eastern, African and European foods. Find it in the spice section of supermarkets, gourmet shops and at tienda.com. It will keep in an airtight container for several years.
Per serving: 219 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 103 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Selenium (43% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- October/November 2006