From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Our rich stew is made with green beans. The saffron contributes a pungent flavor and intense yellow color.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of crumbled saffron threads
- 1 cup no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces bay scallops, tough muscle removed
- 4 ounces small shrimp, (41-50 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, fennel seed, salt, pepper and saffron; cook for 20 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth and green beans. Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, stir in scallops and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Literally the dried stigma from Crocus sativus, saffron adds flavor and golden color to a variety of Middle Eastern, African and European foods. Find it in the spice section of supermarkets, gourmet shops and at tienda.com. It will keep in an airtight container for several years.
Per serving: 219 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 103 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Selenium (43% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- October/November 2006