Made with the readily available long-grain rice instead of Italian short-grain, this seafood risotto does not require constant stirring as does traditional risotto.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Pinch saffron
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen seafood, (bay scallops and/or small shrimp)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pace 1/4 cup broth in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 3 3/4 cups broth, rice, wine and saffron. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. (The risotto should have a creamy consistency.)
- Stir in the seafood, peas and pimiento. Cover and cook until the seafood is opaque, 3 to 5 minutes Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 241 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (44% daily value), Selenium (27% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation