Made with the readily available long-grain rice instead of Italian short-grain, this seafood risotto does not require constant stirring as does traditional risotto.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Pinch saffron
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen seafood, (bay scallops and/or small shrimp)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pace 1/4 cup broth in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 3 3/4 cups broth, rice, wine and saffron. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. (The risotto should have a creamy consistency.)
- Stir in the seafood, peas and pimiento. Cover and cook until the seafood is opaque, 3 to 5 minutes Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 241 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (44% daily value), Selenium (27% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)