Made with the readily available long-grain rice instead of Italian short-grain, this seafood risotto does not require constant stirring as does traditional risotto.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Pinch saffron
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen seafood, (bay scallops and/or small shrimp)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pace 1/4 cup broth in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 3 3/4 cups broth, rice, wine and saffron. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. (The risotto should have a creamy consistency.)
- Stir in the seafood, peas and pimiento. Cover and cook until the seafood is opaque, 3 to 5 minutes Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 241 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (44% daily value), Selenium (27% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient