Made with the readily available long-grain rice instead of Italian short-grain, this seafood risotto does not require constant stirring as does traditional risotto.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Pinch saffron
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen seafood, (bay scallops and/or small shrimp)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pace 1/4 cup broth in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 3 3/4 cups broth, rice, wine and saffron. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. (The risotto should have a creamy consistency.)
- Stir in the seafood, peas and pimiento. Cover and cook until the seafood is opaque, 3 to 5 minutes Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 241 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (44% daily value), Selenium (27% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less