Made with the readily available long-grain rice instead of Italian short-grain, this seafood risotto does not require constant stirring as does traditional risotto.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Pinch saffron
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen seafood, (bay scallops and/or small shrimp)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pace 1/4 cup broth in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 3 3/4 cups broth, rice, wine and saffron. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. (The risotto should have a creamy consistency.)
- Stir in the seafood, peas and pimiento. Cover and cook until the seafood is opaque, 3 to 5 minutes Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 241 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (44% daily value), Selenium (27% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood