Scrambled Egg with Tofu
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Even when you are cooking for one, it's worth taking a few minutes to make a hot, protein-rich breakfast. By stretching an egg with a little tofu, you reduce the cholesterol and saturated fat. Try tucking it into a whole-wheat pita pocket for a simple and satisfying breakfast sandwich-and a healthful alternative to fast-food fare.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Dash of hot sauce, such as
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons crumbled tofu, (silken or regular)
- Blend egg, tarragon, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a small bowl with a fork. Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until warmed through, 20 to 30 seconds. Add egg mixture and stir until the egg is set, but still creamy, 20 to 30 seconds. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 140 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 230 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat. 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)