Scrambled Egg with Tofu
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Even when you are cooking for one, it's worth taking a few minutes to make a hot, protein-rich breakfast. By stretching an egg with a little tofu, you reduce the cholesterol and saturated fat. Try tucking it into a whole-wheat pita pocket for a simple and satisfying breakfast sandwich-and a healthful alternative to fast-food fare.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Dash of hot sauce, such as
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons crumbled tofu, (silken or regular)
- Blend egg, tarragon, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a small bowl with a fork. Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until warmed through, 20 to 30 seconds. Add egg mixture and stir until the egg is set, but still creamy, 20 to 30 seconds. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 140 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 230 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat. 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)