Scandinavian Rice Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Serve this Scandinavian-inspired salad for lunch on the patio, accompanied by some good rye bread or rye crisps.
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup brown basmati or brown Texmati rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- 1/3 small English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, (2 scallions)
- 1/3 cup chopped smoked salmon, (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cover pan tightly. Cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed the water, 30 to 40 minutes. Rinse the rice under cold water until cool.
- Combine the rice with peas, cucumber, dill, scallions and smoked salmon in a serving bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, oil, lemon zest and juice, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt In a small bowl,; pour over the salad and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 hour ahead.
Per serving: 269 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (22% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1995