Scandinavian Rice Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Serve this Scandinavian-inspired salad for lunch on the patio, accompanied by some good rye bread or rye crisps.
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup brown basmati or brown Texmati rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- 1/3 small English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, (2 scallions)
- 1/3 cup chopped smoked salmon, (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cover pan tightly. Cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed the water, 30 to 40 minutes. Rinse the rice under cold water until cool.
- Combine the rice with peas, cucumber, dill, scallions and smoked salmon in a serving bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, oil, lemon zest and juice, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt In a small bowl,; pour over the salad and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 hour ahead.
Per serving: 269 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (22% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 1995