Scandinavian Rice Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Serve this Scandinavian-inspired salad for lunch on the patio, accompanied by some good rye bread or rye crisps.
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup brown basmati or brown Texmati rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- 1/3 small English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, (2 scallions)
- 1/3 cup chopped smoked salmon, (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cover pan tightly. Cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed the water, 30 to 40 minutes. Rinse the rice under cold water until cool.
- Combine the rice with peas, cucumber, dill, scallions and smoked salmon in a serving bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, oil, lemon zest and juice, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt In a small bowl,; pour over the salad and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 hour ahead.
Per serving: 269 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (22% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- May/June 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)