Scandinavian Rice Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Serve this Scandinavian-inspired salad for lunch on the patio, accompanied by some good rye bread or rye crisps.
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup brown basmati or brown Texmati rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- 1/3 small English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, (2 scallions)
- 1/3 cup chopped smoked salmon, (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cover pan tightly. Cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed the water, 30 to 40 minutes. Rinse the rice under cold water until cool.
- Combine the rice with peas, cucumber, dill, scallions and smoked salmon in a serving bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, oil, lemon zest and juice, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt In a small bowl,; pour over the salad and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 hour ahead.
Per serving: 269 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (22% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 1995