Scandinavian Rice Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Serve this Scandinavian-inspired salad for lunch on the patio, accompanied by some good rye bread or rye crisps.
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup brown basmati or brown Texmati rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- 1/3 small English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, (2 scallions)
- 1/3 cup chopped smoked salmon, (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cover pan tightly. Cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed the water, 30 to 40 minutes. Rinse the rice under cold water until cool.
- Combine the rice with peas, cucumber, dill, scallions and smoked salmon in a serving bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, oil, lemon zest and juice, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt In a small bowl,; pour over the salad and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 hour ahead.
Per serving: 269 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (22% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 1995