From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Serve this Scandinavian cereal with low-fat yogurt or nonfat milk to start your day off with whole grains and some protein and calcium-rich dairy. You can substitute any combination of chopped dried or fresh fruit for the raisins—apricots, apples, figs, cherries or cranberries would all be delicious. Try walnuts or hazelnuts instead of the almonds if you like. Ground flaxseeds stirred in at the end provide a boost of heart-healthy omega-3s.
- 2 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking (not instant) rolled oats
- 2/3 cup rye flakes, or wheat flakes (see Note)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds, (1 3/4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut, (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds, ground (optional; see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread oats and rye (or wheat) flakes on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir in almonds and coconut; bake until the oats are fragrant, about 8 minutes. Turn off the oven. Stir raisins into the muesli.
- Microwave honey for 10 seconds in a glass measuring cup. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon; drizzle over the muesli and stir to coat. Return the muesli to the turned-off warm oven and let cool completely, about 2 hours. Stir in flaxseeds, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Note: Rye or wheat flakes are simply rye or wheat kernels that have been steamed and rolled, oatmeal-style. Look for them in natural-foods stores.
- Tip: Grind flaxseeds in a clean coffee grinder or dry blender just before using.
Per serving: 196 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)