From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Serve this Scandinavian cereal with low-fat yogurt or nonfat milk to start your day off with whole grains and some protein and calcium-rich dairy. You can substitute any combination of chopped dried or fresh fruit for the raisins—apricots, apples, figs, cherries or cranberries would all be delicious. Try walnuts or hazelnuts instead of the almonds if you like. Ground flaxseeds stirred in at the end provide a boost of heart-healthy omega-3s.
- 2 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking (not instant) rolled oats
- 2/3 cup rye flakes, or wheat flakes (see Note)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds, (1 3/4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut, (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds, ground (optional; see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread oats and rye (or wheat) flakes on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir in almonds and coconut; bake until the oats are fragrant, about 8 minutes. Turn off the oven. Stir raisins into the muesli.
- Microwave honey for 10 seconds in a glass measuring cup. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon; drizzle over the muesli and stir to coat. Return the muesli to the turned-off warm oven and let cool completely, about 2 hours. Stir in flaxseeds, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Note: Rye or wheat flakes are simply rye or wheat kernels that have been steamed and rolled, oatmeal-style. Look for them in natural-foods stores.
- Tip: Grind flaxseeds in a clean coffee grinder or dry blender just before using.
Per serving: 196 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)