From EatingWell: July/August 1998
A simple way to enjoy summer-ripe tomatoes. Substitute whatever fresh herbs you have on hand for the thyme.
- 8 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Arrange tomato slices, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and sprinkle with vinegar. Combine breadcrumbs, garlic, thyme, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle crumb mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with oil.
- Bake tomatoes for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and the breadcrumbs are crisp and golden. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 80 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 165 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1998