From EatingWell: July/August 1998
A simple way to enjoy summer-ripe tomatoes. Substitute whatever fresh herbs you have on hand for the thyme.
- 8 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Arrange tomato slices, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and sprinkle with vinegar. Combine breadcrumbs, garlic, thyme, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle crumb mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with oil.
- Bake tomatoes for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and the breadcrumbs are crisp and golden. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 80 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 165 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1998