From EatingWell: July/August 1998
A simple way to enjoy summer-ripe tomatoes. Substitute whatever fresh herbs you have on hand for the thyme.
- 8 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Arrange tomato slices, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and sprinkle with vinegar. Combine breadcrumbs, garlic, thyme, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle crumb mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with oil.
- Bake tomatoes for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and the breadcrumbs are crisp and golden. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 80 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 165 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1998