From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving these gingersnap-crusted bananas as an April Fools' joke—they look like breaded scallops, especially with “tartar” sauce served alongside.
- 1 cup gingersnap crumbs, (4 ounces, about 16 cookies)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 large ripe, but firm bananas
- Lemon wedges, and mint sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup Ginger-Yogurt Cream, (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a rack on top and coat it with cooking spray.
- Combine gingersnap crumbs, oil and butter in a shallow dish, crumbling with your fingertips until well blended; set aside. Whisk together egg white, brown sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Peel bananas and trim pointed tips. Cut bananas into 3/4-inch rounds. Dip about 6 banana pieces into the egg white mixture, then, with 2 forks, transfer them to the crumb mixture. Roll the banana pieces in the crumbs with 2 clean forks until evenly coated. Place on the prepared rack. Repeat with the remaining bananas.
- Bake until crisp, golden and heated through, about 8 to 12 minutes. Arrange the hot “scallops” on dessert plates, garnish with lemon wedges and mint sprigs and pass the Ginger-Yogurt Cream separately.
Per serving: 324 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 226 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Folate, & Potassium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996