From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving these gingersnap-crusted bananas as an April Fools' joke—they look like breaded scallops, especially with “tartar” sauce served alongside.
- 1 cup gingersnap crumbs, (4 ounces, about 16 cookies)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 large ripe, but firm bananas
- Lemon wedges, and mint sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup Ginger-Yogurt Cream, (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a rack on top and coat it with cooking spray.
- Combine gingersnap crumbs, oil and butter in a shallow dish, crumbling with your fingertips until well blended; set aside. Whisk together egg white, brown sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Peel bananas and trim pointed tips. Cut bananas into 3/4-inch rounds. Dip about 6 banana pieces into the egg white mixture, then, with 2 forks, transfer them to the crumb mixture. Roll the banana pieces in the crumbs with 2 clean forks until evenly coated. Place on the prepared rack. Repeat with the remaining bananas.
- Bake until crisp, golden and heated through, about 8 to 12 minutes. Arrange the hot “scallops” on dessert plates, garnish with lemon wedges and mint sprigs and pass the Ginger-Yogurt Cream separately.
Per serving: 324 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 226 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Folate, & Potassium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996