From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving these gingersnap-crusted bananas as an April Fools' joke—they look like breaded scallops, especially with “tartar” sauce served alongside.
- 1 cup gingersnap crumbs, (4 ounces, about 16 cookies)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 large ripe, but firm bananas
- Lemon wedges, and mint sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup Ginger-Yogurt Cream, (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a rack on top and coat it with cooking spray.
- Combine gingersnap crumbs, oil and butter in a shallow dish, crumbling with your fingertips until well blended; set aside. Whisk together egg white, brown sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Peel bananas and trim pointed tips. Cut bananas into 3/4-inch rounds. Dip about 6 banana pieces into the egg white mixture, then, with 2 forks, transfer them to the crumb mixture. Roll the banana pieces in the crumbs with 2 clean forks until evenly coated. Place on the prepared rack. Repeat with the remaining bananas.
- Bake until crisp, golden and heated through, about 8 to 12 minutes. Arrange the hot “scallops” on dessert plates, garnish with lemon wedges and mint sprigs and pass the Ginger-Yogurt Cream separately.
Per serving: 324 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 226 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Folate, & Potassium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996