From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving these gingersnap-crusted bananas as an April Fools' joke—they look like breaded scallops, especially with “tartar” sauce served alongside.
- 1 cup gingersnap crumbs, (4 ounces, about 16 cookies)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 large ripe, but firm bananas
- Lemon wedges, and mint sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup Ginger-Yogurt Cream, (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a rack on top and coat it with cooking spray.
- Combine gingersnap crumbs, oil and butter in a shallow dish, crumbling with your fingertips until well blended; set aside. Whisk together egg white, brown sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Peel bananas and trim pointed tips. Cut bananas into 3/4-inch rounds. Dip about 6 banana pieces into the egg white mixture, then, with 2 forks, transfer them to the crumb mixture. Roll the banana pieces in the crumbs with 2 clean forks until evenly coated. Place on the prepared rack. Repeat with the remaining bananas.
- Bake until crisp, golden and heated through, about 8 to 12 minutes. Arrange the hot “scallops” on dessert plates, garnish with lemon wedges and mint sprigs and pass the Ginger-Yogurt Cream separately.
Per serving: 324 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 226 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Folate, & Potassium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996