From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving these gingersnap-crusted bananas as an April Fools' joke—they look like breaded scallops, especially with “tartar” sauce served alongside.
- 1 cup gingersnap crumbs, (4 ounces, about 16 cookies)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 large ripe, but firm bananas
- Lemon wedges, and mint sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup Ginger-Yogurt Cream, (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a rack on top and coat it with cooking spray.
- Combine gingersnap crumbs, oil and butter in a shallow dish, crumbling with your fingertips until well blended; set aside. Whisk together egg white, brown sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Peel bananas and trim pointed tips. Cut bananas into 3/4-inch rounds. Dip about 6 banana pieces into the egg white mixture, then, with 2 forks, transfer them to the crumb mixture. Roll the banana pieces in the crumbs with 2 clean forks until evenly coated. Place on the prepared rack. Repeat with the remaining bananas.
- Bake until crisp, golden and heated through, about 8 to 12 minutes. Arrange the hot “scallops” on dessert plates, garnish with lemon wedges and mint sprigs and pass the Ginger-Yogurt Cream separately.
Per serving: 324 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 226 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C, Folate, & Potassium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996