Scallion & Ginger Spiced Chicken
From EatingWell: March 1998
Elevate plain chicken breasts to the next level with this Asian-inspired pan sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup minced scallion whites plus 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce, to taste
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add scallion whites, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth, vinegar, hoisin sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season sauce with soy sauce to taste and spoon over the chicken. Garnish with scallion greens.
Per serving: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 526 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998