Scallion & Ginger Spiced Chicken
From EatingWell: March 1998
Elevate plain chicken breasts to the next level with this Asian-inspired pan sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup minced scallion whites plus 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce, to taste
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add scallion whites, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth, vinegar, hoisin sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season sauce with soy sauce to taste and spoon over the chicken. Garnish with scallion greens.
Per serving: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 526 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- March 1998