Scallion & Ginger Spiced Chicken
From EatingWell: March 1998
Elevate plain chicken breasts to the next level with this Asian-inspired pan sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup minced scallion whites plus 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce, to taste
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add scallion whites, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth, vinegar, hoisin sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season sauce with soy sauce to taste and spoon over the chicken. Garnish with scallion greens.
Per serving: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 526 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998