Scallion & Ginger Spiced Chicken
From EatingWell: March 1998
Elevate plain chicken breasts to the next level with this Asian-inspired pan sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup minced scallion whites plus 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce, to taste
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add scallion whites, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth, vinegar, hoisin sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season sauce with soy sauce to taste and spoon over the chicken. Garnish with scallion greens.
Per serving: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 526 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- March 1998