Savoy Cabbage with Peppers
This quick braise of Savoy cabbage is flavored with caraway and mustard seeds. Make it a meal: Serve this wintry dish with ham or roast pork tenderloin.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 cups thinly sliced Savoy cabbage
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red peppers
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add caraway and mustard seeds and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in cabbage and jalapeños and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth and cover the pan tightly. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the cabbage is tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in red peppers and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Reheat gently on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Per serving: 58 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 176 mg sodium; 175 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less