Savoy Cabbage with Peppers
This quick braise of Savoy cabbage is flavored with caraway and mustard seeds. Make it a meal: Serve this wintry dish with ham or roast pork tenderloin.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 cups thinly sliced Savoy cabbage
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red peppers
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add caraway and mustard seeds and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in cabbage and jalapeños and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth and cover the pan tightly. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the cabbage is tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in red peppers and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Reheat gently on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Per serving: 58 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 176 mg sodium; 175 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable