Savory Prosciutto Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Chopped onion caramelized in butter gives these muffins a sweet and savory flavor. The prosciutto adds a hit of salt and richness. Serrano ham or other cured ham can be used in place of the prosciutto, if preferred.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced prosciutto, (2 ounces)
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in prosciutto and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk flour, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Whisk buttermilk, eggs and oil in a medium bowl until blended.
- Fold the onion mixture and buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Steps 2 & 3, keeping the onion mixture, dry and wet ingredients separate; cover and refrigerate for up 1 day. Continue with Step 4 just before baking.
Per muffin: 149 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 41 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- May/June 2008