Savory Prosciutto Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Chopped onion caramelized in butter gives these muffins a sweet and savory flavor. The prosciutto adds a hit of salt and richness. Serrano ham or other cured ham can be used in place of the prosciutto, if preferred.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced prosciutto, (2 ounces)
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in prosciutto and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk flour, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Whisk buttermilk, eggs and oil in a medium bowl until blended.
- Fold the onion mixture and buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Steps 2 & 3, keeping the onion mixture, dry and wet ingredients separate; cover and refrigerate for up 1 day. Continue with Step 4 just before baking.
Per muffin: 149 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 41 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2008