Savory Prosciutto Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Chopped onion caramelized in butter gives these muffins a sweet and savory flavor. The prosciutto adds a hit of salt and richness. Serrano ham or other cured ham can be used in place of the prosciutto, if preferred.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced prosciutto, (2 ounces)
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in prosciutto and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk flour, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Whisk buttermilk, eggs and oil in a medium bowl until blended.
- Fold the onion mixture and buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Steps 2 & 3, keeping the onion mixture, dry and wet ingredients separate; cover and refrigerate for up 1 day. Continue with Step 4 just before baking.
Per muffin: 149 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 41 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- May/June 2008