Savory Orange-Roasted Tofu & Asparagus
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
If you've never had roasted tofu before, here's a great way to start. Toss tofu and asparagus in a tangy orange- and basil-scented sauce, made rich and savory with miso. Serve with brown rice or couscous and an orange-and-fennel salad.
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons red miso, (see Ingredient Note), divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pat tofu dry and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Whisk 1 tablespoon miso, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 2 teaspoons oil in a large bowl until smooth. Add the tofu; gently toss to coat. Spread the tofu in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. Gently toss asparagus with the tofu. Return to the oven and roast until the tofu is golden brown and the asparagus is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon miso, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons oil, basil, orange zest and juice, and salt in the large bowl until smooth. Toss the roasted tofu and asparagus with the sauce and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Red miso (akamiso) is a salty fermented paste made from barley or rice and soybeans. Find it in the refrigerated section near tofu. Use it for sauces, marinades or soup.
Per serving: 152 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 482 mg sodium; 319 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Vitamin C (20% daily value), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 plant-based protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2008