Savory Orange-Roasted Tofu & Asparagus
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
If you've never had roasted tofu before, here's a great way to start. Toss tofu and asparagus in a tangy orange- and basil-scented sauce, made rich and savory with miso. Serve with brown rice or couscous and an orange-and-fennel salad.
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons red miso, (see Ingredient Note), divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pat tofu dry and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Whisk 1 tablespoon miso, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 2 teaspoons oil in a large bowl until smooth. Add the tofu; gently toss to coat. Spread the tofu in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. Gently toss asparagus with the tofu. Return to the oven and roast until the tofu is golden brown and the asparagus is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon miso, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons oil, basil, orange zest and juice, and salt in the large bowl until smooth. Toss the roasted tofu and asparagus with the sauce and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Red miso (akamiso) is a salty fermented paste made from barley or rice and soybeans. Find it in the refrigerated section near tofu. Use it for sauces, marinades or soup.
Per serving: 152 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 482 mg sodium; 319 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Vitamin C (20% daily value), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 plant-based protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2008