Sauteed Spinach with Pine Nuts & Golden Raisins
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Pine nuts and sweet golden raisins brighten up sauteed spinach.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, (see Ingredient note), tough stems removed
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shaved Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add raisins, pine nuts and garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and salt. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: The sturdier texture of mature spinach stands up better to sauteing than baby spinach and it's a more economical choice. We prefer to serve baby spinach raw.
Per serving: 158 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 310 mg sodium; 804 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Folate (42% dv), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (29% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Calcium & Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005