Sauteed Mushroom Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2007
Here we make a warm sherry-mushroom dressing to toss over bitter greens. The dressing wilts the greens until they are just tender.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 pound white or cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups bitter salad greens, such as frisee, arugula or baby dandelion greens
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sherry and cook until mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and continue cooking for 1 minute more. Pour over greens in a large bowl and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
Per serving: 82 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 133 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each.
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2007