Sautéed Leek Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with leeks lightly sautéed in butter and tangy buttermilk. These mashed potatoes are an amazing side to grilled steak or chicken.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups halved and thinly sliced leeks (about 2 large; see Tip), white and light green parts only
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir the leeks, buttermilk and pepper into the mashed potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
- Tip: To clean leeks, trim off green tops and white roots and split lengthwise. Place in plenty of water and swish around to release any sand or soil. Drain. Repeat until no grit remains.
Per serving: 202 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 269 mg sodium; 653 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2013