Sautéed Leek Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with leeks lightly sautéed in butter and tangy buttermilk. These mashed potatoes are an amazing side to grilled steak or chicken.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups halved and thinly sliced leeks (about 2 large; see Tip), white and light green parts only
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir the leeks, buttermilk and pepper into the mashed potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
- Tip: To clean leeks, trim off green tops and white roots and split lengthwise. Place in plenty of water and swish around to release any sand or soil. Drain. Repeat until no grit remains.
Per serving: 202 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 269 mg sodium; 653 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2013