Sautéed Leek Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with leeks lightly sautéed in butter and tangy buttermilk. These mashed potatoes are an amazing side to grilled steak or chicken.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups halved and thinly sliced leeks (about 2 large; see Tip), white and light green parts only
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir the leeks, buttermilk and pepper into the mashed potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
- Tip: To clean leeks, trim off green tops and white roots and split lengthwise. Place in plenty of water and swish around to release any sand or soil. Drain. Repeat until no grit remains.
Per serving: 202 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 269 mg sodium; 653 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2013