Saute of Chicken with Apples & Leeks
Fragrant with flavors of fall, this easy chicken sauté turns a weeknight supper into a special occasion.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large leeks, white parts only, washed and cut into julienne strips (2 cups)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 firm tart apples, such as York or Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin or a small heavy pot to pound them to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook until browned on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and leeks. Cook, stirring, until the leeks are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, sugar and rosemary and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes more. Increase the heat to medium-high, stir in vinegar and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add apples and broth and cook, stirring once or twice, until the apples are tender, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and return the chicken and any juices to the pan. Simmer gently until the chicken is heated through. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 235 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 245 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation