Sauté of Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This delicious combination of leeks, rutabaga and celery root is seasoned with fresh thyme. Make it a meal: Serve with roast chicken, like Simple Roast Chicken.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups matchstick-cut carrots, (4 small)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut leeks, (3 leeks, white and light green parts only)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut rutabaga, (1/3 large)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut celery root, or parsnips
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, leeks, rutabagas and celery root (or parsnips); sauté until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and thyme and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the broth has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours in advance. Reheat gently on the stovetop, adding a little water, if necessary.
Per serving: 70 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 123 mg sodium; 367 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993