Sauté of Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This delicious combination of leeks, rutabaga and celery root is seasoned with fresh thyme. Make it a meal: Serve with roast chicken, like Simple Roast Chicken.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups matchstick-cut carrots, (4 small)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut leeks, (3 leeks, white and light green parts only)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut rutabaga, (1/3 large)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut celery root, or parsnips
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, leeks, rutabagas and celery root (or parsnips); sauté until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and thyme and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the broth has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours in advance. Reheat gently on the stovetop, adding a little water, if necessary.
Per serving: 70 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 123 mg sodium; 367 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993