Sauté of Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This delicious combination of leeks, rutabaga and celery root is seasoned with fresh thyme. Make it a meal: Serve with roast chicken, like Simple Roast Chicken.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups matchstick-cut carrots, (4 small)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut leeks, (3 leeks, white and light green parts only)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut rutabaga, (1/3 large)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut celery root, or parsnips
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, leeks, rutabagas and celery root (or parsnips); sauté until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and thyme and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the broth has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours in advance. Reheat gently on the stovetop, adding a little water, if necessary.
Per serving: 70 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 123 mg sodium; 367 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 1993