Sauté of Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This delicious combination of leeks, rutabaga and celery root is seasoned with fresh thyme. Make it a meal: Serve with roast chicken, like Simple Roast Chicken.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups matchstick-cut carrots, (4 small)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut leeks, (3 leeks, white and light green parts only)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut rutabaga, (1/3 large)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut celery root, or parsnips
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, leeks, rutabagas and celery root (or parsnips); sauté until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and thyme and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the broth has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours in advance. Reheat gently on the stovetop, adding a little water, if necessary.
Per serving: 70 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 123 mg sodium; 367 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993