Sauté of Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This delicious combination of leeks, rutabaga and celery root is seasoned with fresh thyme. Make it a meal: Serve with roast chicken, like Simple Roast Chicken.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups matchstick-cut carrots, (4 small)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut leeks, (3 leeks, white and light green parts only)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut rutabaga, (1/3 large)
- 2 cups matchstick-cut celery root, or parsnips
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, leeks, rutabagas and celery root (or parsnips); sauté until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and thyme and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the broth has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours in advance. Reheat gently on the stovetop, adding a little water, if necessary.
Per serving: 70 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 123 mg sodium; 367 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993