Sautéed Spinach with Red Onion, Bacon & Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Bacon and blue cheese transform spinach into a stellar side. Popeye would be jealous.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, (see Note), tough stems removed
- 2 strips center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bacon and sprinkle cheese on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: The sturdier texture of mature spinach stands up better to sauteing than baby spinach and it's a more economical choice. We prefer to serve baby spinach raw.
Per serving: 131 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 750 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Folate (44% dv), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005