Sautéed Spinach with Red Onion, Bacon & Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Bacon and blue cheese transform spinach into a stellar side. Popeye would be jealous.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, (see Note), tough stems removed
- 2 strips center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bacon and sprinkle cheese on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: The sturdier texture of mature spinach stands up better to sauteing than baby spinach and it's a more economical choice. We prefer to serve baby spinach raw.
Per serving: 131 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 750 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Folate (44% dv), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- April/May 2005