Sautéed Spinach with Red Onion, Bacon & Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Bacon and blue cheese transform spinach into a stellar side. Popeye would be jealous.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, (see Note), tough stems removed
- 2 strips center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bacon and sprinkle cheese on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: The sturdier texture of mature spinach stands up better to sauteing than baby spinach and it's a more economical choice. We prefer to serve baby spinach raw.
Per serving: 131 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 750 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Folate (44% dv), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005