Sautéed Spinach with Red Onion, Bacon & Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Bacon and blue cheese transform spinach into a stellar side. Popeye would be jealous.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, (see Note), tough stems removed
- 2 strips center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bacon and sprinkle cheese on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: The sturdier texture of mature spinach stands up better to sauteing than baby spinach and it's a more economical choice. We prefer to serve baby spinach raw.
Per serving: 131 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 750 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Folate (44% dv), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005