Sautéed Spinach with Red Onion, Bacon & Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Bacon and blue cheese transform spinach into a stellar side. Popeye would be jealous.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, (see Note), tough stems removed
- 2 strips center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bacon and sprinkle cheese on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: The sturdier texture of mature spinach stands up better to sauteing than baby spinach and it's a more economical choice. We prefer to serve baby spinach raw.
Per serving: 131 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 750 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Folate (44% dv), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- April/May 2005
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)