This classic stuffing pairs turkey sausage with the tangy sweetness of apples. By using turkey sausage instead of pork, we cut the fat content from 19 grams to 4.
- 8 cups cubed whole-wheat bread, (12 slices)
- 8 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 stalks stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Golden Delicious or McIntosh apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, or 2 teaspoons dried rubbed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread bread on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to break it up, until no longer pink, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander to remove excess fat.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium-low heat. Add celery, onions and garlic; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add apples and cook, stirring, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the sausage, toasted bread, sage, thyme and basil to the bowl. Toss well. Drizzle broth over the mixture and toss until evenly moistened. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a lightly oiled 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Cover the stuffing with foil and bake until heated through, 35 to 45 minutes. If you want a crisp top, uncover it for the last 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4; cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for about 45 minutes before baking.
Per serving: 183 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 512 mg sodium; 317 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient