This classic stuffing pairs turkey sausage with the tangy sweetness of apples. By using turkey sausage instead of pork, we cut the fat content from 19 grams to 4.
- 8 cups cubed whole-wheat bread, (12 slices)
- 8 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 stalks stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Golden Delicious or McIntosh apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, or 2 teaspoons dried rubbed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread bread on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to break it up, until no longer pink, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander to remove excess fat.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium-low heat. Add celery, onions and garlic; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add apples and cook, stirring, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the sausage, toasted bread, sage, thyme and basil to the bowl. Toss well. Drizzle broth over the mixture and toss until evenly moistened. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a lightly oiled 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Cover the stuffing with foil and bake until heated through, 35 to 45 minutes. If you want a crisp top, uncover it for the last 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4; cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for about 45 minutes before baking.
Per serving: 183 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 512 mg sodium; 317 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient