From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Chock-full of vegetables, thick with kidney beans and gently seasoned with garlic and anise, this soup typifies the Portuguese way of cooking. It needs only about 30 minutes to simmer.
- 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 5 cups water
- 3 large white potatoes, (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, undrained
- 3/4 cup sliced California Ripe Olives
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook hot and sweet sausages in a Dutch oven over medium heat, breaking them up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Stir in water, potatoes, celery, zucchini, onion, tomatoes with their juices, beans, olives, garlic, aniseed and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 145 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- November/December 2007