From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Chock-full of vegetables, thick with kidney beans and gently seasoned with garlic and anise, this soup typifies the Portuguese way of cooking. It needs only about 30 minutes to simmer.
- 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 5 cups water
- 3 large white potatoes, (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, undrained
- 3/4 cup sliced California Ripe Olives
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook hot and sweet sausages in a Dutch oven over medium heat, breaking them up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Stir in water, potatoes, celery, zucchini, onion, tomatoes with their juices, beans, olives, garlic, aniseed and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 145 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- November/December 2007